Friday, August 5, 2011

Its my (Pirate) Party

As some of you may know I have recently launched my catering business. I have been unofficially doing it on the side for a few years now, but hadn't taken the plunge until recently. I dubbed it 'Eat. Drink. Live. Catering'. This is the same name as the line of jams, jellies, and salsas I have been selling at craft shows and local stores, so it seemed appropriate to keep it simple.
I have some lovely pictures on my site, thanks to my husband's cousin's wife, who is an amazing photographer. She also helped me with the design, etc, and without her I doubt I would have started up the company at all. Yet another idea she gave me was to have some themed menus dedicated to children's parties. So I did. One of those was a pirate party. She also introduced me to this lovely website, which I will be scouring frequently for birthday party, baby shower, and themed party ideas. She did a pirate party, and gave me quite a bit of inspiration for mine.
I decided to throw a pirate party for my 3 year old, who had his birthday on July 17th. I wanted to try out my recipes, and figure out some pricing. I found an incredible amount of pirate stuff at Hobby Lobby (you poor CA people don't know what that is) and I saw lots of other things that gave me ideas.
So here is my 'Seawater Punch'. I suppose you could use it for a Harry Potter party, also, or anything that requires something that looks a bit unappetizing.
This looks amazing in a large, clear glass container, but you could also use a regular punch bowl. Just don't stir it after you add the ice cream....

Seawater Punch
(serves about 50, or 30 very thirsty people)

5 2-litres of lemon-lime soda (7up or Sprite)
1 cup milk
1 quart vanilla ice cream (get the square one, if you can find it.)
1 container green liquid food color, or 1/4 teaspoon of gel paste
1 container blue liquid food color, or 1/4 teaspoon of gel paste
1 bunch kale

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add kale and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Pour cold soda into the punch bowl or container. Add food coloring and stir until dissolved. Add milk and stir. Add kale and push to the bottom. Run ice cream container under hot water, slide it out and cut it up into 2 inch pieces. Add to punch. DO NOT STIR. Your counter will become a tie-dyed mess right before your guests arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!