Friday, July 13, 2012

Pomegranate Mustard Pork Chops

During the warmer days of late spring, when we are tempted to laze about outside with a cool drink and let the children play in the shade, nobody wants to spend hours in the kitchen 'slaving' over a hot stove to yield a delicious roast or a stew. We crave light dishes with bright flavors and minimal effort, usually with a bit a healthy spin to try and counter act the excessive eating we have been doing during the previous, cooler months. What's funny about the meals during these months, is that they don't generate the hype that those comfort foods do.
When I tell someone we are having a roast chicken for dinner, or chicken pot pie, or beef burgundy, it gets some good responses. Fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, or spaghetti and meatballs get similar gusto, but for some reason, when I mention a light, summery meal there is little enthusiasm.
The same thing happened the other day, when I told my sister about this dinner. Its light, delicious with quinoa and steamed vegetables, but she hates mustard, so when I told her I was making pork chops with a pomegranate mustard glaze she wasn't impressed. I have made it before and explained to her that you don't taste mustard, it just adds spices and flavor. She wasn't convinced. As I was preparing the dish I decided to add a bit of molasses.
A few minutes later we sat down to dinner and after a bite my sweet sister asked if there was more sauce. Of course, I couldn't let that rest so I reminded her of her earlier skepticism. She, in turn, apologized (not really...).

Pomegranate Mustard Pork Chops
4 thinly sliced pork chops
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

For the sauce:
1/4 cup pomegranate jelly
2 Tablespoons Dijon
1 Tablespoon molasses

 Sprinkle the pork chops with the brown sugar, salt, and pepper, and press it into both sides. Heat a skillet over high heat and cook the pork chops until done, about 4 minutes on each side.
Add the jelly, dijon, 1/4 cup of water, and molasses to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium high and boil until reduced by half, whisking until smooth. You can add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over chops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!