Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Cooking School-Perfect Scrambled Eggs

I have been floating around in a foodie flux for a few years now. I love food, I love cooking, and experimenting with new things. I am not, however, foodie material. I wasn't raised in France, I don't have a mowhawk, and am not an alcoholic. I am happily married and I have three children. I don't take expensive vacations to Italy (I would love to...). I am not excessively rich, nor do I have rich friends (that I know of) who run opera houses or own summer homes on the East Coast. My husband has a regular job, and I mostly stay home with the kids,
teaching music lessons on the side. Boring, I know. But that doesn't mean that we can't or don't eat good food. Anyone can be a great cook, and you don't have to have a ridiculous arsenal of expensive spices and equipment. You may, at some point, decide to start investing in ridiculous equipment, or you could be like me and my mom and you obsessively buy ridiculous equipment, that you later find you can only use for one particular item that you have never yet made, but that's beside the point. For now, start with what you have. My goal is to post a series of simple recipes that don't rely on boxes, canned soup, or packages to deliver meals, snacks, and desserts that are delicious, and additive and preservative free. I am going to give you my tips, tricks, and secrets, and I am going to teach you what I have learned about cooking.
Scrambled eggs are a bit tricky. Many people make them even daily, but there are a few tricks to making them turn out creamy and delicious every time. I didn't realize how tricky they were until my kids were at somebody's house for breakfast. I was informed they wouldn't eat eggs, my usual standby. I was confused. Then it happened again. They wouldn't eat scrambled eggs at another friends house. Finally, one day, the unthinkable happened. They wouldn't eat my eggs. They were a bit overcooked, and on the rubbery side. My 3-year-old said they were gross. That hurt my feelings. I am pretty picky about my eggs, but I thought that was a little much. I realized that other people might have trouble with getting scrambled eggs just the way they want them, so I put together a few tips from a variety of sources that helped me, and hopefully they will help you.


Scrambled Eggs
Serves 2

3 eggs
3 Tablespoons half and half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (don't worry-these won't be spicy)

1 Tablespoon butter





1. Crack the eggs into a bowl with plenty of room. Add half and half, salt, and peppers and blend well, using a fork or a whisk. The white and yellow should be indistinguishable.








2. Place a medium-size non-stick pan over medium heat. (The pan should be about  8-inches. These are actually often called 'egg pans')






3. Melt the butter, then add the eggs. After about 1 minute, begin gently scraping the pan with a rubber spatula.






4. Continue stirring, gently, until the eggs are set, but still look a little undercooked.






Do not add cheese, salsa, or any kind of sauce to the eggs before they are set. It messes up the texture. Add any of those things after they are set. You can add diced veggies or herbs, or even cooked meat to the eggs before they are cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!