Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Happy Birthday!-Kerala Style Beef Stew

January  19th marks my blog's 3rd birthday. Hard to imagine, because I feel like I have been writing on this thing forever. I actually double-checked to make sure I was right. This is my 175th post in three years!
This recipe is for my sister, Abby. She loves, I mean loves this stew. It is a standard beef stew with a couple of different ingredients, and the result is absolutely delicious.
I don't have a picture. I will get one soon.
I have made a few slight changes, but for the most part it is just like the recipe I read in Bon Appetit. It has coconut milk in it, but don't let that deter you from trying it. My sister and dad and mom don't like coconut AT ALL, but they love this soup. It is a bit sweet and a bit spicy, and so different from your usual beef stew.
My sister liked it so much she asked me to make it on her birthday. And then she asked me for the recipe, so I told her I would post it here.

Kerala is in southern India-FYI.
Enjoy!


Kerala-style beef stew

Ingredients


3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pounds beef chuck cut into 1" pieces
Kosher salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper plus more for seasoning
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 pound small carrots, scrubbed or peeled, halved lengthwise
1/2 pound baby red-skinned potatoes (about 1 1/2"-diameter), halved, or quartered if large
1 14-oz can unsweetened coconut milk
Cilantro, finely chopped for serving

Preparation



Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Add beef and sear, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer beef to a plate.

Stir in garlic, chiles, and ginger and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add 1 tsp. pepper and turmeric; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth and reserved beef; bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of pot. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender, about 45 minutes.
Add carrots and potatoes. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 15–20 minutes. Stir in coconut milk.

Divide among bowls. Top with chopped cilantro

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!