Friday, January 11, 2013

SAAC- Stinkin Awesome Apple Cobbler


I have a confession to make. I have never made apple cobbler. I thought I had, but I hadn't.  I thought that a cobbler was a pie with no bottom crust. Boy, was I wrong. I saw it on The Chew, and I fell in love. I actually really like that show and try to record it. Partly because of my food crush on Michael Symon, and partly because I like food. And I like to laugh. This show has all of my favorite things. When I saw the cobbler, I just tucked it away in the back of my mind. A few days later, I was making Sunday Lunch (which is a big deal around here-the boys have a hard time deciding whether its lunch or dinner, because its lunchtime but dinner food-you see how that can be confusing)

So I looked around the kitchen, saw apples, and thought to myself, I don't even have to make crust. I can just throw all that in the oven and poof.... Or something like that.
I made it. In little individual portions. And it was Stinkin' Awesome! I am hereby naming it SAAC (pronounced like sock)- Stinkin' Awesome Apple Cobbler.
My middle son went around the table finishing off any little bits of cobbler left in the ramekins. And it was soooooooooooo easy. I'm not exaggerating in the least. Well, maybe the caffeine is getting to me a little bit, but you really need to try this. I may not ever make another apple pie. Alright, that was a lie.
But really. While dinner is in the oven, or the pasta is boiling, or whatever....crank this baby out and it will feel like a special occasion.

SAAC
poached from The Chew
Ingredients
For the Cobbler Filling:
5 granny smith apples (peeled and chopped)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 lemon (juiced)
generous pinch of salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter

For the Cobbler Topping:
3/4 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
Preheat the oven to 350. Place the stick of butter in a pie dish and put it in the oven while its preheating to melt the butter. (Clinton Kelly did this and its genius.) Combine the other cobbler ingredients in a large bowl and stir to coat. Place in the pie dish (out of the oven, of course).
Combine the cobbler topping ingredients in another glass bowl (or a large Pyrex measuring cup) and pour over the apples, trying to cover as much as possible. Place on a baking sheet. Do it or you will have a house full of smoke when butter drips over the edge and burns on the bottom of your stove. Trust me.
Bake for 1 hour, covering if it begins to brown too quickly (check at the 45 minute mark)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!