I have been just crazy about these pickled vegetables. I was making a Latin-themed dinner, with carnitas tacos, rice and beans, and my husband's favorite; crispy corn tortilla shells dusted with Parmesan cheese. I was looking at the carrots and jalapenos that I had picked from the garden, and I was thinking about one of my favorite condiments at Mexican food restaurants; pickled cabbage. I love the stuff. I eat it like its a side dish, and everybody else just passes it over to me because none of them care for it that much. I quickly looked up a recipe for pickling vegetables, and got to work. These are just amazing, and I have been putting them on everything, and I just can't get enough-they are spicy and sweet, with the perfect amount of acid. Try it. You will be an addict.
DIY Pickled Vegetables
1 1/4 cups distilled white vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
3 whole cloves garlic
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup carrots, peeled and cut into pieces no larger than 1/2-inch in diameter
2 jalapenos, sliced lengthwise and seeded
For my son's 6th birthday party, we threw a Mario Party. We made invitations, cut from a template I made from toadstool napkins. ...
Lately, my four-year-old has been giving me fits. He won't eat his food and he tries to snack all day long. All conversations end octave...
This recipe is a labor of love. I say that because it has come about over several years of trying, testing, tweaking, and changing. This is ...
So, I was looking through one of my recipe books the other day, and I came across a recipe for braided danish coffee cake. It looked pretty ...
We did the baby shower for my sister-in-law, Brenda. She is carrying the first granddaughter my parents will have, so of course there is ...
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Baci di Ricotta- The Recipe for Happiness
- Cheesy Star Crackers-DIY Goldfish Crackers
- Ricotta- Let Me Count the Ways
- DIY Pickled Vegetables
- Chicken with Asian Peanut Sauce
- DIY Peanut Butter
- No Complaints- Chicken and Dumplings
- Cooking School-Fried Eggs
- DIY Simple Iced Coffee
- Panko and Coconut Crusted Steelhead
- ▼ August (11)
- ► 2011 (72)
My Blog List
My Favorite Reads
- Bride & Groom First and Forever Cookbook
- Deceptively Delicious
- Giada's Kitchen New Italian Favorites
- Martha Stewart's Cooking School
- Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres Handbook
- The Art & Soul of Baking
- The Bon Appetit Cookbook
- The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics
- Williams-Sonoma Cooking at Home