Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Cooking School-Fried Eggs

I learned to make fried eggs for my dad. He's a tough critic, and if anything is less than perfect he lets you know. The same is true with his eggs. He will poke at it with his fork to test for doneness. If there is that perfect, gentle movement that a good fried egg has he will say, "That looks good". If he pokes it and it does not sway gently away, he clenches his teeth, presses his lips together and narrows his eyes suspiciously. He cuts into it with his fork, and if that golden center doesn't ooze out just right he practically throws a tantrum. Just kidding. But he's not happy. I have tried several different methods. One, he insisted I try, was basting. The way he explained it (I have no idea if this is technical or not) was you fry the eggs, put a bit of water in there and flick it up over the egg so the top gets cooked without flipping it. We all know what happens when you flip fried eggs. Half of them break. Then they are ruined. So, I tried it. They turned out pretty good. Then, when I was playing my Wii Food Network Game, you know, the one where Ted Allan teaches you how to cook, I made the eggs the way they said. And I've been making them that way ever since. Isn't that sad? A video game teaches you how to make eggs? Not really. I actually think that is definitely my new favorite way to learn....

Fried Eggs

2 cold eggs (room temp eggs don't seem to make nice whites)
1 Tablespoon butter
salt and pepper


1.Place a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the butter.






2. When the butter has melted, add the eggs, one at a time.
3. Quickly sprinkle with salt and pepper.





4. Cover the pan with a lid, and reduce the heat to medium.






5. Wait about three minutes, and you have perfect, sunny side up eggs!






A few notes:
  • If you like your egg a bit more done, feel free to flip them to cook the whites on both sides. This would also be considered an 'over-medium' egg. 
  • Also, everybody's appliances are different, and you may find you need to leave your eggs a little bit longer on medium heat. 
  • I prefer the flavor of butter, but by all means use cooking spray if you are watching calories. Or, on the other hand, you could use a bit of grease from the bacon you cooked that morning ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!