Thursday, October 27, 2011

Take In: Egg Rolls

As I am nearing my 100th post, I have been thinking back on posts I have written, and recipes I have included. Chinese food, (fast Chinese) has always found its way into many memories for me and my husband. I know it isn't grandiose but its nostalgic, and sometimes that means more to us than the other. When we were dating, I moved away (he followed) and I was living in San Jose, CA. There was a Mr. Chau's very close to where we worked and we probably ate there close to once a week. Just after our first son was born, we ate at a restaurant here in town with his parents. We both distinctly remember it, for some reason. One of his favorite restaurants right now is a Chinese restaurant about a half hour away from us.
We have never really agreed on Panda Express. He likes it, me-not so much. But occasionally, if I feel like being really nice I will suggest it. Most of the time we eat Chinese at home, now. Spicy beef stir-fry, lettuce wraps, teriyaki chicken, kung poa chicken,  fried rice and egg rolls.
Here is a bit of nostalgia you can serve up when ever the mood strikes.


3 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/4 of a head)
1 cup mixed chopped vegetables
1 Tablespoon teriyaki sauce or soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

12 Egg roll wrappers

Combine vegetables and seasonings in a bowl. Lay egg roll wrapper in front of you like a diamond. Place a strip of the filling in the middle, running horizontal (about 1/3 of a cup) Fold left, then right side in toward the center. Fold the bottom up, use a bit of water and a pastry brush to seal and fold the top down, tightening as you go. Be careful not to tear the egg roll wrappers. Repeat with remaining wraps and filling. Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Cook wrappers in two batches, seam side down for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!