Thursday, October 13, 2011

All the Time (Chicken Salad Sandwich with Bacon)

Two of my favorite smells in the world, bacon, and coffee, are somehow made better when you smell them together. To wake up to those scents is one of the most wonderful feelings in the world. Not every day, of course, because it wouldn't be special any longer. I remember, as a child, there was a restaurant I loved to eat at. They had a large fireplace in the center of the restaurant, and they made the most delicious ham and processed cheese sandwich I had ever tasted. Each sandwich came with a pile of fries and a cold, crisp pickle. Pair that with their chocolate shake and it was heaven on earth. I wanted to eat there all the time. I remember my dad telling me that if we ate there all the time it wouldn't be special any more. I looked at him incredulously. I was sure he was wrong. It would always be special.
They have since closed down this bay area eating establishment, probably saving me from being disappointed when I returned as an adult, only to find the food wasn't as good as I remembered.
Bacon, however, is timeless. It adds unbelievable flavor to a wide range of dishes, and is wonderful just by itself. I have taken to adding it to my chicken salad recipe with a hint of liquid smoke. The liquid smoke gives the impression that there is more bacon than is actually in there. This is a very simple recipe, and it is perfect piled high on some soft, white, potato bread.

Chicken Salad
serves 2
1 cup precooked rotisserie chicken, diced
I stalk of celery, sliced thinly
4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 slices of bacon, cooked
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sage
¼ teaspoon liquid smoke

Combine ingredients in a medium bowl.

1 comment:

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!