Monday, June 6, 2011

Little Things

I think its funny when I follow other food blogs and we write about the same things within weeks of each other. I wonder sometimes if its the way our minds work, or if the power of suggestion is so strong that the thought that had been lurking on the edge of my subconscious suddenly lurched to the front after reading the title, and I believe in my heart that I had been intending to write on that.
Well, now it has happened again. Not quite, but close. I had decided a while ago to write about fried rice, but keep putting it off. Other, more exciting things have been visiting our table and I have wanted to write about them instead. I was looking through my blog the other day and realized that I had promised that the recipe for fried rice would be coming soon, so I decided I should write on that. One or two days later another blogger wrote about fried rice. Not the same version as mine, but I still found it funny. Maybe all foodies are on some sort of lunar cycle or something (well...most female foodies are, anyway).
So, let me tell you about fried rice. We love it. I usually make veggie fried rice to accompany our Asian inspired meals, but I have also made it with shrimp, just for fun. I have made fried rice in a wok, and in a pan, and I don't see any difference. For a while, it turned out really great, than I hit a low time when it was just pretty nasty. I mean it tasted good, but the texture was really weird.
I kept switching it up, but nothing really seemed to work. Then I read something in a magazine (I know, happens a lot) and it just clicked. I had been scrambling my egg into the rice, instead of on the side and then combining them. Little thing, right, but it really made a huge difference.
And then, life was good again.
A little tip: When I make Asian food, which calls for small amounts of many different ingredients, I find prep dishes very useful. A great phrase to keep in mind is mise en place which is a French term that essentially means "everything in place". Chop, wash, prep, and measure out everything ahead of time and you will be all set.
Fried Rice
Serves 6

2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup mixed vegetables, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces or strips
1 cup shredded cabbage
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 Tablespoons Teriyaki marinade and sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cooked white rice (I love Jasmine rice)
2 eggs
2 scallions (green onions) thinly sliced

Set a pan over medium high heat and add the sesame oil and vegetable oil. When oil is hot add vegetables and cabbage. Saute for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, then garlic. Saute for one minute more, then add Teriyaki, salt, and pepper. Saute for about 2 minutes more, or until vegetables begin to soften. Add white rice and combine well. Push rice and veggie mixture to one side of the pan. Crack the eggs into the other side, and begin scrambling in the empty side of the pan. Once it is mostly cooked, combine with the rice and veggie mixture. Add scallions. Cook for 1 minute more.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!