Thursday, June 9, 2011

Warm and Cozy

After much begging, pleading, and promising on my part, my mom has finally decided to share her chicken pot pie recipe. I am so excited because now that I live away from her, I never get to eat it. I have a chicken pot pie recipe that I make, that I like very much, but there is something about that comfort food that you have been eating since a child. I don't like one over the other, it would be like comparing two pieces of art. They are both unique and delicious in their own way.
But I have to say, when I am in the mood for chicken pot pie, I'm in the mood for my mom's. I usually make mine when I am trying to use up leftover chicken. I want my mom's when I want pot pie. Now, I am so glad she has shared the recipe here, so you can enjoy the deliciousness that I have been enjoying.

From Mom: Chicken Pot Pie
This recipe a favorite of mine and has been used in our home for about 25 years! It originally came from my sister, Michelle, who had given it to my Mom. I don’t know where my sister got it, but a few of the ingredients were different and have been changed and adapted over time to suit us. Enjoy!


Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients list:

Pie crust for top and bottom of pie

1 cooked chicken, with meat cut into bite-sized pieces, or 1-12.5 oz can white chicken meat

2 ½ cups cooked vegetables, cut into bite-sized pieces or 1-12 oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables

6 Tb butter

½ cup flour

½ cup evaporated milk

1 envelope Lipton Soup Secrets dry noodle soup mix

2 ½ cups chicken broth

Directions:

If you are using a fresh chicken, then cook, clean and cut into bite-size pieces, before starting the filling. Set aside. Cook vegetables, draining off water. Melt butter in large pot on low heat. When melted, whisk in the flour, followed by the evaporated milk and dry soup mix, thoroughly mixing each before adding the next. Add broth, chicken and cooked vegetables. Stir and continue cooking on low heat, until filling has thickened. (Appx.5 minutes) Place bottom crust in pie pan. Pour prepared filling into pie pan. Place top crust over filling, sealing edges. Cut at least 3 slits in top of pie. Bake pie at 450* for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!