Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Breakfast Cookies

I usually make a treat on Saturday nights to take to my Sunday morning class, provided I have not completely exhausted myself with some other activity or event. I try not to make something too rich or sweet-I do not prefer falling into a sugar-induced coma any time before 9 pm.
I prefer something that is fine if it is prepared the night before, with little or no compromise to the moisture or texture of the item. Quick breads are usually out, because they dry out so quickly and I usually don't have time to make them on Sunday morning.
One such time I was searching for something  a little bit different. We had feasted on coffee cake, danish, muffins, zucchini bread, banana muffins and more, but I wanted something more on the adventurous side. I had come across a recipe for breakfast cookies in one of my editions of Bon Appetit, claiming that they were all the rage in East Coast coffee shops. Knowing that trends from there usually make there way here sometime in the near future, I wanted to be the first of my friends to try it.
I googled the recipe and found it, by another name, and checked the ingredient list. The only thing that was a potential issue was pre-cooked quinoa. I found that I had some of the nutrient-packed grain in the pantry and set a pot of water to boil immediately. Tucking that tidbit of information away for the next time I make quinoa, I continued with the recipe list. I generally don't make things like this verbatim, and sure enough, I felt that I should add a bit of cinnamon. Unfortunately I was (and am) out of almond extract, so I just doubled the vanilla.
Loaded with quinoa, cranberries, whole wheat flour, honey, oats, and almonds, I can feel good about giving this to my kids as an on-the-go breakfast. They are extremely dense and filling, and go perfect with a glass of non-fat milk, or whatever milk-fat you drink.

Breakfast Cookies

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour  
1 teaspoon kosher salt  
1/2 teaspoon baking powder  
1/2 teaspoon baking soda  
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature  
1/4 cup sugar 1/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar  
1/4 cup honey 
  2 large eggs  
1 teaspoon vanilla extract  
1/2 teaspoon almond extract  
1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled  
1 cup old-fashioned oats  
1 cup dried cranberries  
1/2 cup slivered unsalted almonds

Preparation



Preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, both sugars, and honey in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and extracts; beat until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time. Stir in quinoa, oats, cranberries, and almonds. Spoon dough in 2-tablespoon portions onto prepared sheets, spacing 1” apart.

Bake cookies until golden, 12–15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!