Thursday, May 31, 2012

Apple Turnovers

A few months back, on our trip out of town, I determined that the next time we go on any sort of vacation that includes a hotel stay  I am going to pack some ground coffee and my French press coffee maker. I am one of those people that has to eat breakfast, and I have to drink coffee. Not just any coffee, but good coffee. When we are on vacation, my husband usually sleeps in and I wake up at some ungodly hour and watch TV. You know, something he doesn't want to watch like Food TV or maybe the History channel. I usually pick a hotel with breakfast because if I leave it up to him we won't eat until 11:00 and I will be cranky if I haven't had breakfast by then. We won't even talk about what I would be like without coffee until then. I usually make myself drink the hotel coffee, just trying to get some blood flowing, or I might meander down to the lobby and force myself to drink poor excuse for caffeine they have down there.
By the time we leave for the day I am in a slight coma, mumbling incoherently and sluggish. I try to find a Starbucks and hope that the baristas have been properly trained. After this repeated event, I made the previous decision. I am going to bring my own coffee. That is the one uncompromisable thing. The one thing that I do the same, every day, and vacation is just torture without it.
As I fervently make this vow to my husband, he grunts in a non-committal way. "Huh. Good idea." and turns back to whatever he was doing. I scowled at him for a moment, knowing that he could care less if he has breakfast or coffee.
There is something, though, that he cares about, and that's these apple turnovers. You can use frozen puff pastry if you would like, but homemade puff pastry is actually really easy and way cheaper than the frozen stuff.


Apple Turnovers

1 package puff pastry or 1/2 recipe homemade

Filling:
4   apples, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
Juice of 1/3 lemon

1 egg
Glaze:
1/4 cup light colored jelly (pomegranate, apricot, apple)
1/4 cup water
Cook filling over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes or until apples begin to soften.
Cut puff pastry  into 8 squares, fill with filling, crimping the edges. Combine egg with 1 Tablespoon of water and brush the tops. Cut 3 holes in the top.
Bake at 425 for 20 minutes or until brown.
Meanwhile, make the glaze by combining the jelly and water in a saucepan over medium high heat, whisking until they are incorporated.
Brush the glaze over the turnovers as soon as they come out of the oven and dust with sanding sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!