Thursday, July 21, 2011

More sauce and more syrup

I just wanted to post something real quick. The other day I had a recipe that called for chocolate sauce, and in these penny pinching days I didn't want to buy a $4 bottle to use a few tablespoons. I knew I had seen a recipe for it somewhere, so I decided to look it up. Sure enough, there it was, simple and quick.
I usually make my own simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water, bring to a boil, boil 1 minute....then you can infuse with any flavor; mint, lemon, lime, vanilla, orange, vanilla-orange, by steeping rinds or herbs in the syrup for 15 minutes, or just add a flavor like maple), but I have never made my own chocolate syrup. It turned out great, and I thought to myself, "other mom's might enjoy this recipe" whether its for Ebenezer's reasons or because you ran out and need some at the last minute, its fun anyway! This morning I made whole grain waffles for the boys, topped them with peanut butter, bananas, and homemade chocolate syrup. Let's just say they cleaned their plates ;).
Happy Thursday!

This recipe is from The Smallnotebook.org, who attributes it to The Complete Tightwad Gazette.
I intend to peruse this website more thoroughly when I have time. They seem like they have a lot of great ideas for frugal moms!

½ cup cocoa powder
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
⅛ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla
Mix the cocoa powder and the water in a saucepan. Heat and stir to dissolve the cocoa. Add the sugar, and stir to dissolve. Boil for 3 minutes over medium heat. Be careful not to let it get too hot and boil over! Add the salt and the vanilla. Let cool. Pour into a clean glass jar, and store in the refrigerator. Keeps for several months, but trust me it will be gone before then. Yields two cups.

1 comment:

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!