Monday, July 11, 2011

Coffee's Mate

Here is another recipe from my Mom, although I had actually also written it down to share! I won't rehash what she says, but this is easy, quick, and absolutely delicious! I have had people pay me to make it for them on a regular basis!


This is yet another recipe I received from my Mom before I was married, and I am still in the process of learning its’ origin. This possibly came from my Mom’s own mother, which would, in turn, mean that it has been enjoyed by my family now for at least four generations! It’s one of those truly timeless recipes that once they’ve arrived have a way of staying put. They are pulled out time and again because of their ease and reliable results. This is one of the few recipes that I have that fall into that category. It’s one of the few that I’ve been making for years and just keep coming back to.  This is my recipe for coffee cake.
So the first thing people ask when I offer them coffee cake is always... YES...How did you know! They always ask me, “Is there coffee in it?” The answer is “No”…there’s NO coffee in coffee cake. It’s just that it needs an excellent cup of coffee to accompany it! This makes it a wonderful breakfast bread, but many, many times we’ve eaten it late in the evening, after dinner. It’s very versatile. Not only is it good around-the-clock, it’s always my reliable stand-by when I have unexpected guests or need a bread-type dessert in a hurry! It’s my substitute for breakfast breads or evening dessert that might normally call for yeast…which means they have to rise…and rise…etc. But not this recipe! This recipe is so basic and quick, that once I pop it in the oven, it cooks up and is ready to serve in only 20 to 25 minutes! I’ve also used this in cupcake pans, with great results! Not only is it quick to whip up and quick to cook & serve, it tastes exceptionally good. So without further ado…
Coffee Cake
Batter:
Mix together the following ingredients:
½ cup Sugar
1 Egg
½ tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsp Melted Butter
1 cup Flour (I usually use 1/3 cup whole wheat flour and 2/3 cup white.)
Pour into a prepared 8x8x2” baking dish, or if doubling the recipe, use a 9x13 baking dish. Set aside.

Topping:
NOTE: I ALWAYS double the entire topping recipe. This isn’t necessary. I made it the original way for many years and thought it tasted great. I guess I’m just one of those people who figure that if ‘a little’ tastes good, then a lot will taste ‘even better’!  So if you do decide to double the topping, I listed the increased increments below, next to each ingredient. Also, if I double the batter recipe for my 9x13 pan, I then quadruple the topping recipe!
¼ cup Brown Sugar (Double: ½ cup or Quadruple: 1 cup)
1 tsp Cinnamon (Double: 2 tsp or Quadruple: 4 tsp)
1 Tbsp Melted butter (Double: 2 Tbsp or Quadruple: 4 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp Flour (Double: 2 Tbsp or Quadruple: 4 Tbsp)
Mix together with a fork and sprinkle it evenly over top of batter. Bake in a preheated 375* oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean. If doubling the recipe and using a 9x13 baking pan, cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!