Monday, January 24, 2011

Fish and Chips and Salsa

Another item that I found my blog lacking was fish. We eat lots of fish, just like beef, but I guess I know a lot of people don't like fish or maybe they don't like very many kinds of fish.
We eat a lot of fish around here. I try to fix it twice a week for health and variety, (although I must admit if I make shrimp I count that as one of our fish meals) and everybody loves it.
I definitely have my favorite types of fish, and I have so many ways of preparing them I rarely make the same thing twice in a month. My husband requests fish and chips, and fish tacos quite frequently. We will also eat fish grilled, or baked, with lemon or browned butter.
We also love shrimp tossed with pasta, or sauteed in garlic, ginger and butter and topped with cilantro, served with warm french bread. As a matter of fact, we are having teriyaki-pineapple prawns with rice and snow peas for dinner tonight.
I will probably end up writing about a lot of those different dishes later, but today I wanted to tell you about a really easy, really good way to cook fish.
It also makes use of leftovers, which makes it a hit with me. Use any white fish you like, halibut, farm-raised catfish, tilapia, red snapper or orange roughy, and coat it with some crushed up tortilla chips. You take salsa and swirl in some sour cream and it makes a delicious and fresh tasting topping.




 
Fish and Chips and Salsa
Serves 4
4 white fish fillets (halibut, red snapper, orange roughy or tilapia)
salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4-5 cups tortilla chips, crushed by hand or in a food processor
1 12-16 oz jar of medium salsa
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Season both sides of the fillets with salt and cumin. Combine butter and lime juice in a bowl and drizzle over the fillets. Top each side of the fillets with a layer of tortilla chip crumbs.
Heat a deep saucepan over medium high heat. Add about 2 tablespoons cooking oil and once the oil is heated add the fish. Cook for 6-7 minutes per side, or until fish has reached desired doneness.
Whisk together the salsa and sour cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat until just warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
Plate the cooked fish fillets and top with creamy salsa.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!