Sunday, December 30, 2012

Berry Parfaits with Angel Food Croutons

If you read my previous post, you read about this in my list of things I love making with lemon curd. This dessert is amazing. The first time I made it, it pulled me out of a jam when I was making the food for my sister-in-laws Ladybug Baby Shower. I had planned to make a lemon loaf that I cut into small rectangles and dipped into lemony white chocolate. What could possibly go wrong? Well, if you know anything about white chocolate, you know a lot can go wrong. Once I dipped those cakes things went from bad to worse. I tried to dab some raspberry jelly on the top and it turned into a molten, lemon chocolate raspberry mess that fed no one but the trash can.
I see in my mom's fridge an angel food cake she had on hand (totally random, right?) and I have some lemon curd in the fridge. Add some fresh berries and whipped cream and you have a stunning dessert.

This comes from the Bride and Groom cookbook, one of my absolute favorites and a book that should be on everybody's bookshelf. I had altered a few things, like adding the angel food croutons, but trust me this is so easy to make, so impressive, and a beautiful summery dessert.
I made this as individualized portions in clear, plastic cups, and it added a nice flair.

Lemon Berry Parfaits with Angel Food Croutons

4 cups mixed berries, (strawberries, whole blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries-strawberries cleaned and quartered
3 Tablespoons sugar
Juice of 1/2 a lemon (about 2-3 Tablespoons)
1/4 cup berry jam

1/2 purchased angel food cake, cut into 1/2-inch squares

1 cup lemon curd
1 cup heavy cream

Combine the berries, sugar, lemon juice and jam and let sit for about an hour, or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 400, and place the angel food cake pieces on a sheet. Bake for 30-45 minutes, stirring every fifteen minutes to insure the pieces dry out evenly.
Combine the lemon curd and heavy cream

Place berries in the bottom of the glass, add a bit of the curd mixture, then more berries. You could either top it off with a small dollop of the curd mixture, or some whipped cream. Top with angel food pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!