Friday, November 16, 2012

Salted Caramel

I know I haven't posted in forever. And while it seems impossible to believe, I have just had some things going on that are a bit more important than a blog.
That being said, I have a recipe I want to throw out there. One that I constantly try to relocate, and that is one of the biggest reasons recipes end up in my archives.
Salted caramel. Do I seriously need to say anything else?

There is a lot of buzz about salted caramel, and for good reason. Those of us who are salty-sweet eaters know why. There is something truly addicting about that flavor combination. This sauce is a snap, and it yields and absolutely amazing sauce that will keep at room temperature for at least a week. I make up a batch and drizzle it on everything from homemade mocha's to ice cream and apple pie. I'm thinking about using it as a dipping sauce for fried chicken. Just kidding, but I seriously put it on everything.
It has come to the point where friends point out the caramel topped dessert and ask "Did you make that?" Because I throw that on everything. I'm a caramel-slinging cowgirl citygirl.
Now, go make this sauce, and put it on something. Instant domestic goddess. You will thank me later (donations accepted).

Salted Caramel Sauce

1cup white sugar
 6tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup cream
1 tsp (or more) salt
Cooking Directions
Add the sugar in a thick bottomed pan and cook it till it melts. Keep swirling the pan so that the sugar can cook evenly.
Once the sugar has reached a deep brown color, pull it off the heat and add all the butter. It will foam up, so make sure you're using a pan with high sides. Stir until it's completely melted into the sugar.
Next, pour in the cream (more foaming) and whisk in until you have a consistent sauce. You may need to rewarm it a bit if it seized up. Not a big deal.
Stir in half the salt. Let it cool completely. Stir in the remaining salt. Put it in a container and serve as desired (try to use a spoon instead of just eating out of the pan).
Store in refrigerator for up to two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!