Thursday, January 19, 2012

Drop Biscuits

Breakfast is special to me. I honestly don't care that much about lunch, since I am a grazer, but breakfast is, you know, 'the most important meal of the day'. If we have a chance to eat together as a family I really, really enjoy it. I don't particularly enjoy being the short-order cook, preparing breakfast for my husband before he leaves for work, then preparing it for each of my children as they wake up....it kind of sucks the fun right out of it.

I do love those late morning breakfasts, when everybody lazily rolls out of bed, somebody makes some French press coffee, and I start some potatoes and eggs, just lolling about the kitchen, maybe putting together a fruit salad and some crepes. Honestly, we don't have days like that very often. Lately, they only happen if there is a national holiday. We are so busy we scarf down breakfast and hurry on our way. Too bad.
But, for either of those days, these biscuits are  a miracle. They are drop biscuits, so you simply stir together a bunch of ingredients and plop them onto a baking sheet and make a batch of hot sausage gravy while they are in the oven. Throw some potatoes or eggs on the plate and you have the breakfast of champions.

Drop Biscuits
from the Bride and Groom Cookbook
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chilled heavy cream, plus more as needed


Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and kosher salt in a large bowl. Add the 1 cup cream and stir just until dough forms. The dough should be slightly sticky. If it seems dry, add a little more cream. Drop 1/4 cup of the batter onto a baking sheet for each biscuit, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Bake until the biscuits are pale golden on the top and golden brown on the bottom, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cook for 5 minutes before serving.

Variations are listed, such as adding 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 teaspoon dill, and an additional 2 Tablespoons flour. I have never been so inclined.

1 comment:

  1. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.
    Total Gym 1800 Club

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!