Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Eat Here-Barking Frog Grille

Yes, here it is-another restaurant review. I may start doing this full-time instead of cooking at home...back in November, my husband and I had dessert at a restaurant in Sedona called the Barking Frog. I know the name is a little off-putting, but we had passed it a few times and decided to give it a try. We had the churros, and they were really good. We really liked the ambiance of the restaurant, so we decided we would go back again.
We ended up eating there for our anniversary. The staff was very friendly, and we were notified by the hostess that there were two dining rooms. In one there are no hamburgers or children- I have to say I chose that one.
Large fireplaces give the room a wonderfully homey feel, but don't let that fool you. The service and food are definitely first class. The menu has a southwestern-French feel. It may sound odd, but it actually works quite well. We started out with rotisserie chicken nachos. Before that made it to our table, the chef sent out a small appetizer that was a bite of caprese, drizzled with a cilantro pesto instead of the traditional basil pesto. It was amazing. The mozzarella was fresh and delicious, and the cilantro pesto was very good.
The nachos arrived in a timely fashion and they were piled high with fresh guacamole and queso fundido. The guacamole had fresh corn in it, which I love, and the nachos were layered with a delicious chili.  We were very pleased. The next thing to make its way to our table was  refreshing lime sorbet, sent out as a palate cleanser between courses. It was a few small bites (or just one, if you are my husband) and it was very good.
We ordered the lamb porterhouse, and I have to say it was fantastic. There were two porterhouse lamb steaks on the dinner, served with sweet potato fries and a latke. The lamb had a finely chopped green apple chutney, which was also very good and complimented the lamb perfectly. I had ordered it medium-rare, and it was cooked to perfection. There was none of the gaminess that sometimes accompanies lamb, just a deliciously seasoned, tender and flavorful piece of meat. My husband and I weren't wild about the sweet potato fries, but that's just preference. I really liked the latke, it was also lightly seasoned and complimented the lamb well.
Unfortunately, we didn't have room for dessert, but I am glad we had the churros and ice cream the last time we were there. They had a delicious looking selection of desserts, and we will probably make our way out there again just for that.

Barking Frog Grille
2620 W. Arizona 89A
Sedona, AZ 86336
928.204.2000

Barking Frog Grille

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

RECOMMEND US!!